When I save Unicode files with TextPad 5.4.2 directly on my Boxcryptor 22.214.171.124 drive, they quite often get corrupted.
When I save exactly the same file with TextPad on a normal drive, this does not happen.
When I save exactly the same file with Notepad on the Boxcryptor drive, it also does not happen.
The corruption only takes place on a Boxcryptor drive, not on a normal drive. So it seems very unlikely that TextPad is the problem. And I have never experienced TextPad corrupting files before.
I can reproduce it like this:
1) I place the file
in a directory within my Boxcryptor drive (X:\).
2) I open the file in TextPad. It looks fine.
3) I choose File | Save as... and give it the file name "Saved by TextPad.txt". It is automatically saved in "PC" and "Unicode" format. I get the corrupted result in
The corruption in this case is the last two bytes: 40 and CC in hex.
4) I open the original "Original.txt" in Notepad.
5) I save it as "Saved by Notepad.txt".
6) The result is the file
which is perfectly fine and not corrupted.
The notepad version contains a unicode BOM (byte order mark) in the beginning of the file (the two bytes FF FE hex), which the Textpad version does not. But I expect Boxcryptor to treat all files as binary files, so that should not make any difference.
I have seen worse corruptions than this, with a lot more strange characters at the end of files. This is just a reproducible test case.
The Boxcryptor drive is mapped to a Dropbox folder, if that makes any difference.
I use Windows 7 Professional ("Microsoft Windows Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1").
Another, simpler test case:
I just tried creating a brand new file in TextPad, adding one empty line, saving in "PC" and "Unicode" format on my Boxcryptor drive, and it also gets corrupted in the end:
The file contains these bytes (in hex):
0D 00 0A 00 DA A8
The bytes DA A8 are the corruption in this case. They shouldn't be there.