I'm very happy to write this post because the first public beta of BoxCryptor for Mac OS X is available now and that BoxCryptor's easy-to-use experience is now also available for Mac OS X users. Please consider the following before downloading and installing BoxCryptor for Mac OS X:
- This is an early beta version, so please use it with caution.
- Only one BoxCryptor volume is supported right now.
- During the beta, BoxCryptor for Mac OS X is completely free.
- This version expires on 06/30/2012 and will stop working after this date.
- This version is Lion-only. Support for older Mac OS X versions will come soon.
You can download the BoxCryptor for Mac OS X v0.9 Installer here:
Some additional information for our advanced users:
As you might know, we have already provided a solution for Mac OS X with our EncFS installer. Although this installer made it much easier to use encryption software on Mac OS X, we have received a lot feedback that its usage and configuration through Macfusion was still too complicated. In this first version on our way to a native BoxCryptor for Mac OS X application, we still rely on the great EncFS project for the actual encryption and decryption of files - and we focused on bringing the easy-to-use experience from Windows also to Mac OS X by developing our own user interface on top of it.
This BoxCryptor for Mac OS X package contains the following software:
- OSXFUSE 2.3.9
- EncFS 1.7.4
- BoxCryptor 0.9
UPDATE 06/07/2012: We have released version 1.0 of BoxCryptor for Mac OS X. Find it here: http://www.boxcryptor.com/download