I have two big problems with the Android version of BoxCryptor (Pro).
When I open a file via the app there are two possibilities:
1) The file is opened by another program and BoxCryptor is still usable, but when I switch back to BoxCryptor the file opened by the other program is no longer available in the filesystem. (e.g. PDF files with Acrobat Reader)
2) The other program is somehow opened inside BoxCryptor, so when I want to switch to BoxCrypter, I jump to the other program instead. To get back to BoxCryptor I have to end the other program (back button until I'm back in BoxCryptor). The file is available in the filesystem as long as the other program is running. (e.g. KeePassDroid files)
With neither of these is it possible to work.
Every time I got back to the BoxCryptor app, the file is removed (with the only exception from 2) to 1) that at 2) you can not keep the other program running to go back to BoxCryptor.
So it is impossible to work with two or more files or you just have to hope that the other programes keep the file in cache and never ever read or write from the filesystem again (not acceptable, because e.g. KeePassDroid locks the database after a few minutes for security reasons and then has to re-read the database file).
The next problem is, even if I accept the limitation from I., I still cannot save an edited file. I always get the error "411 Length required" (more information, but vanishes too fast to read).
Here's what I'm doing:
- Open PDF in BoxCryptor
- Acrobat Reader opens with PDF loaded
- Add a comment to PDF
- Leave Acrobat Reader
- Go back to BoxCryptor
- BoxCryptor tries to store the changed file (I see a progress bar)
- The error occurs
- The PDF file is not updated
With Acrobat Reader you can also see, what consequences the limitation from I. have:
- Open PDF
- Switch back to BoxCryptor
- file is removed from filesystem
- Switch back to Acrobat Reader
- Add a comment to the document
- Close Acrobat Reader
-> Acrobat Reader hangs because the file it wants to save is gone. You have to kill the process.
So lets sum up those problems:
1) You can not work with more than one file at the same time
2) While working with a file you must not switch back to the BoxCryptor app
3) Even when you respect 1) and 2), an edited file will not be stored, because during storing there is an error
4) (Bonus problem) After a phone reboot, BoxCryptor is still open, no need to enter password again. For security reasons the storage connections should be closed on shutdown.
I would just like to have a location, where I can access all the files via normal filesystem while BoxCryptor is running. Like the BoxCryptor drive in Windows.