Here is where I am getting confused:
Let's say the following structure:
Once I created the new profile, the first concern that I had was getting the dropbox working again, which seemed as if it is. As far as the boxcryptor folder went, that has become a total mess. Assuming that I had an awareness of the .encfs6.xml files and I tried to avoid duplications, including having one sitting at a level higher than another. That was a problem that I had had once before. Where I did see dup's, I tried to rename the higher level file, changing the xml to "old". This has not worked.
I also tried copying the file from one computer to another. That has created an even worse situation because now, once the xml file was put into the new profile location, I did not stop to realize that the dropbox would recognize that. So now the Boxcryptor is no longer working on the other computer either!
I had copied the xml file using a jump drive, but copying the jump drive file back to where it was on the other computer did not resolve the problem. This keeps getting worse and worse. I did send an email to support but I haven't heard from anyone yet.
There must be something that they can do to log in remotely, etc. to troubleshoot this. My unlimited version is getting very limited!