Today I have lost my files in Google Drive due to the way BoxCryptor and Google work. This is what I have done
(I had a nice unencrypted Google drive folder with many files and Google docs)
1. I installed and set up BoxCryptor, encrypting the whole content of the Google drive
2. I waited for the encrypted files to be synchronised
3. I verified that everything works fine, i.e. files were encrypted on the disk, unencrypted in the virtual folder, Google docs files were working (when clicked in the virtual folder), etc.
4. As everything worked fine I emptied the Bin in the Google drive
Result: I lost all my Google docs. Why? Because the uploaded encrypted links to those files are not recognised by Google, and it thinks that I deleted them. When I emptied the bin I deleted the last shortcuts to the files that Google new about and the files got deleted permanently.
Solution (Dear BoxCryptor developers, please ...):
- make it possible to make exclusions, i.e. I would like to be able to select from the context menu of the files in the virtual drive the ones which should not be encrypted. When I select this option the content of the file in the virtual drive and the encrypted drive should remain the same. It would be a very useful feature also because of many other reasons unrelated to Google.
- set a reasonable default configuration for the BoxCryptor, which should not encrypt the Google Doc files by default. It does not make any sense to encrypt them and it leads to problems like the one described above.