For me there is a little problem in the way 'Add account name prefix...' works.
I am using a financial program (Home Accountz) written in Java, which stores the file path to the last open file and always tries to re-open it. Although using the option above shows me a volume icon with the simple name I originally gave to the volume (e.g. BoxCryptor), the file path calls the volume 'michael-BoxCryptor', for example.
This would not be a problem except that when I first turned this option on, my program looked for the last-opened previous file path. Again, the program itself should be written in a way that I can set a new file path, but for some reason (I am consulting the developer over this issue) it crashes almost irreparably when it cannot find the file path it expects. To recover, I had to restore my system from a SuperDuper! clone I made 24 hours ago, it was that bad.
My workaround for the moment was to open a non-encrypted file in Home Accountz, close it, and then enable the 'Add account name prefix' option and mount the BoxCryptor volume. Then, with the new file path in existence, I opened the original file on the encrypted volume from within Home Accountz (File>Open). Of course as I navigated through the file browser to my original file I saw the volume with its abbreviated name, but when I later opened Properties in the open file, it showed its 'true' file path including my username prefix.
I'm not sure if BoxCryptor behavior should be different. Immediately, I think the Home Accountz program needs to be able to recover from a missing volume problem without a complete hard disk restore.
Or, maybe there could be an option that BoxCryptor 'honestly' shows the volume name in Mac Finder, complete with the username prefix.
PS: I notice with the username-prefix option 'on', using 'Get Info' on the BoxCryptor volume shows the 'true' path, including the username prefix.