Hi. Here is some behaviour that I have noticed and would like to get some clarifications about.
What I wanted to do is to simulate behaviour of BoxCryptor in various environments. I am considering to "push" some people to upgrade from BoxCryptor Classic to BoxCryptor, so want to see what question/problems or situations they may run into. Here are the steps I've did:
1) I have tried to log into BoxCryptor (v2.2.413.244 on Windown 10 1511) using online account on a VM with no internet connection.
- Log in happend quickly, regular BoxCryptor folder was opened.
2) Next I have turned network connection back on and logged out. Closed BoxCryptor.
3) Opened BoxCryptor while having network connection enabled.
- BoxCryptor window was shown blank with no prefilled username.
- After feeling in username and password for online BoxCryptor account I was greeted with a very first intro screen, with options to show it in the future or not.
- The local folder that was chosen in BoxCryptor as a location was there, however in advance settings the option of Filename Encryption was off.
The main point of this test was to test how online BoxCryptor account behavious in an environment with unstable internet connection. This is something neither me, nor other users I know had problems with while using BoxCryptor Classic (for obvious reasons).
What does concerns me is that BoxCryptor settings are lost during such situation. A typical user I am aware of does not go to check his settings every time he starts using an app, thus I see this behaviour as an area of concern in case of users I know and work with.
For me now, the only way to prevent such behaviour (this is not tested however) is in case if Business Account is used by a group of people with a Policy 'Require Filename Encryption' in place. Otherwise due to lost settings a user will come to the situation where some of his files will be with filename encrypted and some with no encryption (such as files in newly created folders).
Please share some insights as to how online BoxCrypter account works in a mixed environment when people work in team, but do so 'online' and 'offline' most of their time (a case of a frequent travellers).