I have a paid account for both Dropbox (1TB) and Boxcryptor (encyption of file contents PLUS filename encryption ability).
In point form:
- Laptop A - I'll call it "LA" - has numerous folders in Dropbox.
- "LA" also has *one* folder with multiple subfolders that is fully encrypted with encrypted fulenames. Hence, this folder has ".bc" extensions AS WELL AS "Chinese" characters for the filename.
- "LA" has newest/latest versions of Dropbox and Boxcryptor loaded.
- At this stage, all is good.
- Laptop B - I'll call that one "LB" - is my "out and about" laptop.
- Files, unencrypted, from "LA" have been copied to "LB".
- These files have then been appropriately encrypted by LB's copy of BoxCryptor.
- Hence "LB" files are now identical to "LA" files.
At this stage, all relations with Dropbox, Boxcryptor and laptop "LA" are awesome.
Let's bring in Laptop "B" - or "LB"
In point form:
- "LA" and "LB" has newest/latest versions of Dropbox and Boxcryptor loaded.
- The unencrypted files from "LA" have been copied to "LB" without issues.
- Post copy, both laptops are identical regards files.
- So now LA and LB want to syncronise with the files in Dropbox.
- I find that DropBox will take 2 days to synchronise for "LA"
- Laptop "LB" is NOT online for the duration of the Dropbox syncronisation.
- Eventually "LA" has uploaded all requred files (mostly Boxcryptor files).
At this stage, "LA" is fully syncronised with DropBox and Boxcryptor.
"LB" has all files copied from "LA" and encrypted via Boxcryptor.
"LB" has at this moment, Dropbox stopped.
Everything is good.
I turn on "LB" Dropbox and Boxcryptor files sync and I get the following errors:
- Boxcryptor error: [something like] "duplication error"
- Sometimes this error message is "only a warning" (and no action is required)
- Sometimes this error message requires action -- automatically ...
--> Files are renamed with an extenstion of "(01)" and zero bytes, OR
--> Files are duplicated with "File conflict with [the other laptop]", hence all files are copied and suddenly ALL FILES ON "LA" ARE REPLCATED ON "LB" with the extension "<filename> (<laptopname> conflicted copy"
Hence I cannot use laptop LB, because it will want to upload everything despite the fact that it already has all current files from laptop LA. Also, the "folder.bc" file is ALSO replcated, meaning that I will have TWO <filename>.bc files -- the secondary being renamed to "<filename>.bc (<laptop_name> conflict with ...." and, and, and.
At this stage I cannot have two (or more) laptops using the same encrypted data as is on laptop LA that's on laptop LB without LB uploadig everything back to Dropbox.
At this stage, I'm OVER THIS ENTIRE CRAPPY SHIT and want a positive solution.