I'm running into performance issues after upgrading from "Backup and Sync" to "Google Drive for Desktop", with "Google Drive File Stream" auto-detected provider in Boxcryptor "Locations" settings pane.
Listing the content of a specific encrypted folder in the Finder (through the Boxcryptor volume) takes several seconds in the following scenario:
- Google Drive set to "Stream files"
- A specific folder downloaded for offline use (contains 500+ files)
- WiFi off (to rule out any network related issues)
What I did as a workaround:
- set "Google Drive for Desktop" to "Mirror files"
- in Boxcryptor preferences, unselect the autodetected "Google Drive File Stream" location
- add a new one targeting the "My Drive" folder (and not /Volumes/Google Drive)
Ideally, I would want to use the "Stream files" option (and not have to mirror the content of "My Drive" locally). Thanks!
Note: I can't use the "Google Drive File Stream" auto-detected location to test performance in this scenario. "Google Drive for Desktop" creates an additional "My Drive" folder and symlink to it from the "Google Drive" volume. Instead of targeting the "My Drive" folder directly, Boxcryptor targets the "Google Drive" volume and lists the "My Drive" shortcut. Following that shortcut would show encrypted files.
Mac OS: 10.15.7 (Catalina)